Hong Kong is a city of contrasts that highlights a mixture of Chinese tradition and modernity that make it a unique place. The former British colony is full of futuristic skyscrapers that have made it one of the capitals of the business world, although it must also be said that inequality and overpopulation have not taken away the charm of its ancient traditions. Seeing its skyline at night, climbing to Victoria Peak, eating delicious Cantonese or international cuisine, touring street markets or playing in Macau casinos, are just a few of the many things to see and do in Hong Kong.
Taking as reference the 4 days we spent touring the city in our trip to China in 26 days for free, we have prepared a list of the best 50 things to see and do in Hong Kong.We start!
1. Walk Tung Choi street day and night. We will be at the Ladies Market, the most famous street market in Hong Kong.
2. Visit the Wong Tai Sin Temple, one of the most beautiful in Hong Kong. Its color and the smoke of incense make it a magical place.
3. Get lost in the neighborhood of Mong Kok, the most commercial and crowded area in Hong Kong. The neon lights, the posters, the restaurants, its old streets and its atmosphere will make you feel like in a movie.
A good option if it is your first time in the city is to book this private tour with a guide in Spanish or this guided tour in Spanish to get to know the history better and not miss anything important.
4. Take the Star Ferry, the ship that crosses from Kowloon to the island of Hong Kong. If you can do it several times to have good photos of the skyline both day and night.
5. Try the Dim Sum, steamed muffins stuffed with different ingredients, in the One Dim Sum Chinese restaurant.
6. Climb at sunset to Victoria Peak, to have the best views of Hong Kong day and night.
More things to see and do in Hong Kong
11. Ask for the cabin with the transparent floor when climbing Ngong Ping 360 cable car. Of course, this option is not suitable for people with fear of heights. You can book here the entrance to the cable car.
12. Find the statue of Bruce Lee and the footprints of Jackie Chan on the Avenue of Stars, two of the few actors we will meet.
13. Disconnect from the city in Kowloon Park, a beautiful park in the middle of the city where we can see people practicing tai chi, martial arts, dancing ...
14. Eat delicious local food at the Tim Ho Wan Sham Shui Po restaurant, one of the best things to do in Hong Kong.
15. Take the Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car to see the impressive Great Tian Tian Buddha.
46. Visit the Chi Lin Convent next to the Chi Lin Garden, a place that conveys tranquility and peace, one of the best things to see in Hong Kong.
47. Curiosing the Wan Chai neighborhood, with a great and crazy nightlife.
48. Take a bus to visit Tai O on Lantau Island, a quiet traditional fishing village, with palafitos or houseboats and a market of local specialties. We can book an excursion to do it next to the Great Buddha and the Po Lin Monastery.
49. Stroll through the Hong Kong Soho in the Hollywood Road area, a multicultural neighborhood with a great atmosphere.
50. Be surprised to see bamboo scaffolding in the construction of modern buildings. This mixture of traditional and modern is the charm that makes Hong Kong one of the cities to which you plan to return only to enjoy it more calmly.
For more recommendations you can follow this list of essential tips for traveling to China.
If you feel like helping us complete the list of 50 things to see and do in Hong Kong, add yours in the comments.